If you’re a woman (especially if you’re a mom), it’s easy to let your hobbies and interests go in favor of your family. Let’s explore a list of hobbies for women with over 100 hobby ideas for women to help you get out of that mom funk!
Hobbies for Women
Why do moms need a hobby?
1. Identity – Hobbies force you to explore and engage in activities outside your children. Hobbies can help you feel like you! Even if you’re including the kiddos in your hobby, your family is engaged in something that you enjoy and choose to do rather than participating in a child-centric activity.
I could write a whole post on the child-centricism (<<< that’s a word now) that permeates our culture, but I’ll spare you. Suffice it to say that your children will leave home one day. Make sure you’re continuing to develop as a person and cultivating interests in preparation for their departure. Looking into hobby ideas for women is a great place to start!
2. Stress Relief – Whether you’re pounding the pavement for miles or just tuning out the noise of the world with your crafting project, you can decompress by engaging in one or more activities in my list of hobbies for women.
3. Enrichment – Hobbies grow you as a person. Learning new things, broadening your social circle, and getting some much-needed exercise, all contribute to your physical and mental health. Even if you try something from this list of hobbies for women, then decide it isn’t for you, you still reaped those benefits!
How To Choose A Hobby
Know Thyself – Are you an introvert or an extrovert? Detail-oriented or more of a big-picture person? Physical or cerebral? Outdoorsy or a homebody? Do a little soul-searching to find out which category in my list of hobbies for women might be a good fit.
Be Realistic – Before my kids were born I enjoyed horseback riding lessons. I don’t own a horse or have enough space or money to maintain one, and the closest source of western riding lessons is an hour drive from my home. As much as I enjoy horseback riding, the pursuit of it would be more stressful than it’s worth during this season of life. Choose a hobby that won’t put a strain on your time or your wallet.
Assess your current needs – Are you out of balance or neglecting a certain area in your life? If you tend to be “all work and no play” maybe you need to choose a new hobby purely for fun. If you have a sedentary lifestyle, maybe you need to work at finding a physical hobby you enjoy no matter how much you’d rather take up crochet.
List of Hobbies for Women
Below are 100+ hobby ideas for women broken down by category that will show you how to find new hobbies or revisit some old ones.
Creative Hobbies for Women
- Scrapbooking (digital or paper)
- Crochet – Learn in an hour? Hello, kid’s nap time!
- Jewelry making
- Cake Decorating
- Metal Stamping
- Soap making
- Music instruments
- Needle Felting – this has gotten popular in recent years with even our small local library having several how to books.
- Coloring – Check out my list of free adult coloring pages to get started without purchasing an adult coloring book.
- Flower Arranging
- Nail art
- Quilling – I enjoyed this as a kid and had a mom and aunt who enjoyed it in the 70’s that could both help me with it. I’ve noticed quilling is making a comeback with a modern twist and I look forward to teaching it to my daughter.
- Candle making
- Sushi Rolling
- Home Decorating
- Cookie decorating
- Towel origami or napkin folding – I have the towel animal book. So fun!
- Latte Art
- Furniture refinishing
- Embroidery – Note that this is one of the most affordable hobbies for women if you are the crafty type. Embroidery floss an needles are cheap and once you get the hang of it, you can embroider on lots of different things like thrift store finds or fabric remnants that are on clearance. Embroidery is the next thing on this list of hobbies for women that I’m personally taking up, and I’ve been using videos like the one below to help.
Outdoor Hobbies for Women
- Horseback riding
- Frisbee Golf
- Target Shooting
- Geocaching – This is the GPS I use for hiding caches
- Bird watching
- Scuba Diving – I did this and I’m hooked!
- Metal Detecting
- Archery – You know you want to be like Katniss!
Physical Hobbies for Women
- Running – As cheap as a decent pair of shoes. Choose to run in your neighborhood or a local park instead of paying for a gym membership or buying a treadmill. Use the C25K (Couch To 5K) app to get started.
- Yoga – If you like to be social, yoga classes abound at gyms, churches, and community centers. I prefer to load up a Yoga with Adrienne video before bed and close the day with her.
- Body Building
- Rock climbing
- Urban Exploration <<< I so want to do this with Hubs. The closest we’ve gotten is an abandoned gondola house and tracks at a local park.
Social Hobbies for Women
- Line Dancing
- Square Dancing
- Historical reenactment
- Bowling leagues
- Church choir
- Cards (Bridge, Poker)
- Face Painting
Intellectual Hobbies for Women
- Foreign languages
- Chess – Checkers is almost beyond me so I really want to try this “no stress chess” method.
- Meditation – Something we can all benefit from. If you’ve tried meditation in the past without success, investigate some of the different kinds of meditation out there (or it’s close cousins.) Maybe you’d benefit from guided meditation, hypnosis, shamanic drum journeys, or ASMR instead. Michael Sealey’s YouTube channel is my absolute favorite for guided meditations. I’m pretty sure I haven’t stayed awake for an entire one though so listen during the day to get your meditation on, or at night as a cure for insomnia.
- Crossword puzzles
- Jigsaw puzzles – I am super particular about puzzles, and these are my favorite brand.
- Writing – You could start a blog. 🙂 If you aren’t driven to monetize everything you’ve ever enjoyed like I am (I’m working on it. Sigh.) just begin a daily journaling practice. You can even find free journaling prompts online to get you started.
Other Hobby Ideas for Women
- Dog training
- Preparedness – There are whole prepper communities out there, some of them especially for women.
Need a few more hobby ideas for women? Let this over-60 community inspire you with their 68 ideas
This list of hobbies for women hopefully inspired you with some great hobby ideas for women! Which will you choose?