Leave it to Southerners to fry even the vegetables! This Southern bacon fried cabbage is a side dish that is simple to fix, inexpensive, and of course, tastes wonderful. How could it not with all that bacon? Just a spoonful of its tasty goodness helps the cabbage go down. 😉
I can remember both sets of my grandparents enjoying this simple recipe which they passed down to my parents and then to me. As a kid, I didn’t care for it (not surprising really) but now I love me some Southern fried cabbage! It must just be in the genes.
How to Make Fried Cabbage
For the most authentic Southern fried cabbage, be sure to cook it in a well-seasoned iron skillet.
- 1 small head of cabbage, cored and coarsely chopped
- 5 strips of bacon
- 1 small onion chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to Fry Cabbage
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crispy
- Remove bacon, crumble, and set aside.
- Leave bacon grease in the skillet and scrape the bottom of the skillet to loosen bacon bits
- Add chopped cabbage and onions to skillet and pan-fry over medium-high heat in the bacon grease, stirring occasionally.
- Return bacon to the skillet and continue to fry until cabbage is al dente.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper to taste
Southern Bacon Fried Cabbage
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 78Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 14mgSodium 318mgCarbohydrates 3gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 5g