Do you call them muddy buddies or puppy chow? Either way, this gluten free snack will be a hit when you bring it to your next gathering or playdate. Use blueberry Chex Mix and fruit-flavored marshmallows for a bit of a twist on this classic dessert.
What’s a unicorn treat without gold and sprinkles? I used both!
These sprinkles do double-duty in my unicorn popcorn recipe. Click the link or the image below to make it to go with your Unicorn Puppy Chow!
You’ll be creating each muddy buddy color separately, but feel free to mix them together once they are dry.
Below are the colors I used. What will you come up with?
To make this unicorn puppy chow, you will still use powdered sugar just like with a regular muddy buddy recipe. The key is to use much less so you don’t diminish the vibrant colors or make it too sweet since the candy melts themselves are sweetened.
Also, I tried the standard “shake things up in a bag” method and trust me it’s easier to just use a bowl and cookie sheet in this case.
Unicorn Muddy Buddies
- 1 box Blueberry Chex Mix
- 4 cups Wilton candy melts (one of each color)
- 1 powdered sugar (approximate. You'll be eyeballing it)
- 1 cup fruit flavored pastel marshmallows
- Gold and white sprinkles
- Place two cups Blueberry Chex Mix in a bowl.
- Heat one cup of one color candy melts in the microwave for one minute. Stir, then heat on 30 second increments until melted.
- Pour over Chex Mix and stir gently until cereal is coated.
- Slowly add a little bit of powdered sugar. You want enough that the cereal isn't so wet (and so you have that muddy buddy flavor!) but not so much that you wash out the color.
- Add marshmallows
- Repeat with other three colors
- Spread each color out separately on cookie sheets to dry. I added sprinkles at this point.
- Once dry, mix all the colors together to serve or keep them separate and serve side-by-side for a rainbow look.
Fudge is bespelling you to subscribe to our weekly newsletter. Sign up so he can take the hat off!