This Brazilian candy brigadeiro recipe is so easy to make that you’ll want to get the kids to help. It tastes like a Tootsie Roll copycat recipe except richer! Of course, we rolled ours in chocolate sprinkles since kids were involved, but you can also choose coconut flakes for a different option.
Brazilian Candy Brigadeiro Recipe
Sweet T loved helping make this recipe that came with her Little Passports monthly subscription. This particular month was a unit study on the country of Brazil and we enjoyed learning about it together. In addition to fun recipe and craft ideas like this one for families to try on their own, Little Passports comes with ready-to-g0 activities in their packages as well as online features. If you’re looking for a subscription box that combines hands-on activities with learning opportunities, Little Passports is it!
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 dozen mini cupcake wrappers
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Shaved coconut (use instead of sprinkles if you want to make a coconut brigadeiro recipe)
- Melt butter in a pan over medium heat
- Add condensed milk and cocoa powder. Stir for 15-20 minutes until the mixture thickens (in our case it took much less time though so keep an eye on it) Check the thickness by dragging a wooden spoon through the middle of the pan. The mixture should be separated for a moment before coming back together.
- Once thick, spread the dough onto a small cookie sheet and set aside to cool for about 20 minutes.
- Once the candy is cool, use a spoon to scoop small amounts of the cooled dough into your hands to form balls. Lightly butter your hands first to keep them from sticking.
- Roll the balls in either sprinkles or coconut and set them in mini cupcake wrappers
- Chill for 15 minutes before serving