This easy cookies recipe tastes amazing all on its own but sandwich some ice cream in between them to really make your taste buds sing!
Lemon Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar for rolling cookies
- Vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Zest lemon and squeeze juice into a bowl
- Combine first 4 ingredients with the lemon zest and set aside
- In a separate bowl cream butter and sugar. Stir in egg and 1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Add flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time until dough forms
- Divide dough in half and roll each half into a 12″ log
- Cut each log into 12 equal 1″ pieces then roll each piece into a ball using your hands.
- Lightly roll each cookie ball through granulated sugar until coated
- Place each ball 1 1/2″ apart on ungreased cookie sheet and lightly press the center of each with your thumb
- Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes
- Allow cookies to cool completely
- Place a scoop of vanilla ice cream onto the flat side of one cookie then top with another and squeeze together lightly
- Stand each sandwich on its side and roll through the sprinkles
- Place cookie sandwiches back in the freezer to set before serving.
I love these lemon cookies all by themselves too. The lemon juice and zest really set them apart from your average cookie.
But if you want to make an ice cream sandwich out of them, you certainly won’t regret it. 😉
Foodstirs provides kits with easy recipes like this and most of the ingredients you need to get cooking with kids ages 5-12. The directions are simple and colorful and provide kids with step-by-step photos of the process. Ideal for young ones who are learning to cook!
Follow Foodstirs on Facebook for coupon codes, fun recipes, and more!
Which Foodstirs kit is your favorite?
Disclosure: Foodstirs sent me one of their kits with no obligation to share with my readers, but I wanted to make this easy cookies recipe for my family and share anyway because…yum.