I love spending time in the kitchen with my daughter. It’s a great way to bond, teach, and just spend time together making delicious food. This summer, we made this Blueberry Freezer Jam Recipe together and I thought I’d share this easy jam recipe that allows you to do the same.
Cooking together is also a great time to teach your kids essential skills from preparing food to measuring and if you’re ambitious, even math and chemistry. Let’s dive right into fun with the perfect freezer jam recipe.
I chose blueberry freezer jam because blueberries are still in season. You can find them in the grocery store, at the farmer’s market, and in u-pick farms across the country.
If you can’t find fresh blueberries, you can also make this recipe with frozen blueberries. Just be sure to thaw them in the fridge overnight.
Blueberry Freezer Jam Recipe
· 3 cups crushed blueberries
· 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
· 3 Tbsp granulated white sugar
· 1 box pectin
This couldn’t be more simple. Get out your food processor and add the blueberries. Pulse until they are well mashed.
Add some lemon juice and mix.
Add the sugar and pulse until it is dissolved.
Add the pectin and pulse just until it is incorporated.
Allow the mixture to sit for 30 minutes, giving it the occasional pulse to mix things around.
Pour the finished jam into freezer containers and freeze for up to 12 months. Be sure to leave a little room in each container to allow for expansion. I also keep one container in the fridge to use right away.
Kids can help with measuring, mixing, and pouring the finished product into containers.
If you want to make this an even more “hands-on” experience, use a glass bowl and a potato masher instead of the food processor. It takes a little more elbow grease but it is a lot of fun.
Make sure the kids wear old clothes or aprons. Blueberry juice makes for some nasty stains.
You can also replace blueberries with any type of berry that’s in season. I’ve used this easy freezer jam recipe with strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, and various combinations of mixed berries.
Blueberry Freezer Jam
- 3 cups crushed blueberries
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp granulated white sugar
- 1 box pectin
- Add blueberries to a food processor and pulse until they are well mashed.
- Add lemon juice and pulse until blended
- Add the sugar and pulse until it is dissolved.
- Add the pectin and pulse just until it is incorporated.
- Allow the mixture to sit for 30 minutes, giving it the occasional pulse to mix things around.
- Pour the finished jam into jars and freeze for up to 12 months.