How do you make barbecue sauce? If you’ve always used it from the bottle or packet, you’re in a for a treat when you try homemade BBQ sauce for the first time. If you have a pressure cooker, you can make homemade BBQ sauce the easy way. Let’s demystify this beloved condiment and learn how to make homemade BBQ sauce!
pressure cooker, you can make homemade BBQ sauce the easy way. Let’s demystify this beloved condiment and learn how to make homemade BBQ sauce!”/>
This flavor-packed BBQ sauce combines the natural sweetness of cherries and maple syrup with the welcoming warmth of the ginger, cinnamon, and rosemary. Try finding that in a bottle!
How to Make Homemade BBQ Sauce in the Instant Pot
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes + time to come to pressure
- 2 T. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic, finely minced
- 2½ c. fresh or frozen dark cherries, pitted
- 1 10-oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilies, with liquid
- 3 T. apple cider vinegar
- 2 t. fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1½ t. ground cinnamon
- ½ t. smoked paprika
- 3 T. maple syrup
- 1 T. fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 t. liquid smoke (optional)
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot and select the “Sauté” function on the high temperature setting. Add shallot and garlic and sauté until soft and slightly golden, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Turn Instant Pot off and add remaining ingredients, including the liquid from the tomatoes and the liquid smoke, if using. Stir to combine and season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Add lid and lock into place. Make sure the valve is set to the “Sealing” position and set the “Manual” setting to high for 10 minutes. After a brief pause, the Instant Pot will automatically start building pressure.
How Do You Make Homemade BBQ Sauce? Some Tips:
For best results, prepare this recipe one or two days in advance. Although it can be enjoyed immediately, this sauce really comes into its own when the flavors are given time to fully develop.
Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 77Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 0mgSodium 186mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 1gSugar 7gProtein 1g