Oven Roasted Beets and Brussels Sprouts can transform a basic weeknight meal into something special. Simple and elegant, this eye-catching vegan recipe features rich, beautiful jewel tones that add a vibrant pop of color. Learn how to roast beets and you’ll enjoy plenty of great flavor from this oven-roasted beets and brussels sprouts recipe.
Prior to making this side dish, I did not know how to roast beets or even how to cook fresh beets at all! My beet-eating experience had been limited to putting fresh beets in a smoothie and a certain canned beet dish that my mom is fond of making (that I didn’t care for as a kid AT ALL).
Learning how to roast beets and enjoying this oven roasted beets and brussels sprouts recipe has been a game-changer for me. It always feels good when you find a new way to incorporate fresh vegetables into your diet.
Now that I know how to roast beets and flavor them well, I can eat them without wishing I was eating something else. Who else is guilty of that when it comes to eating your veggies? Hopefully, it’s not just me.
How to Cook Fresh Beets and Brussels
- 3 large red beets, cleaned, peeled, and cut into equally thick slices
- 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts, ends removed and cut in half
- 3 T. olive oil, divided
- 1 T. garlic powder, divided
- 1 red onion, outer skin removed, sliced and quartered
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 T. pink Himalayan sea salt
- 1 t. fresh cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add sliced red beets and Brussels sprouts and toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 teaspoons garlic powder.
- Arrange beets and Brussels sprouts on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper in a single layer. Add red onion quarters and brush with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Add fresh thyme sprigs to the baking sheet. Sprinkle vegetables with pink Himalayan sea salt, and fresh-cracked black pepper. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are golden brown and other vegetables are tender.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly before serving.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 84 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 318mg Carbohydrates: 8g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g