Stew beef and rice are both affordable grocery ingredients making this Instant Pot Beef Tips and Rice recipe a gluten free meal you can enjoy on a budget! Learn how to make beef tips and rice in your Instant Pot for a quick and easy dinner you can whip up after work or school pickup.
There is quite a bit of variation when it comes to cooking rice in an Instant Pot because the correct settings and cooking times vary from one type of rice to another.
Per the manufacturer, the “Rice” setting is intended for white or parboiled rice only. For the long-grain brown rice used in this recipe, use the “Manual” setting on high and set the cooking time to 22-25 minutes, “depending on your preferences and any local issues, like high elevation.”
This recipe suggests 22 minutes as the active cooking time, but feel free to extend this time if you prefer softer rice. In addition, this version includes a little more liquid than the 1:1 ratio recommended by the manufacturer to account for the added ingredients.
How to Make Beef Tips and Rice
- 3 T. gluten-free soy sauce or coconut amino
- ¼ c. sesame oil, divided
- 2 T. honey
- 2 T. lime juice
- ½ t. garlic powder
- ½ t. onion powder
- 2 t. fresh ginger, finely minced
- 1 t. crushed red pepper flakes
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1½ lbs. stew beef, cubed
- 1¼ c. water or beef broth
- 1 c. long-grain brown rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 T. sesame seeds
- 3 T. fresh parsley, finely chopped
1. Combine soy sauce, 2 tablespoons sesame oil, honey, lime juice, garlic powder, onion powder, fresh ginger, and red pepper flakes in a glass bowl. Season with salt and black pepper to taste and stir to combine. Set aside.
2. Seal the stew beef cubes a plastic bag and pour the marinade on top. Gently turn the bag to thoroughly coat the beef. Marinate at room temperature for at least 30 minutes, or place in the refrigerator overnight. Turn bag occasionally for even distribution of the marinade.
3. To prepare, add remaining 2 tablespoons sesame oil to Instant Pot and press the saute button. Adjust the heat setting to high. Once hot, transfer the beef cubes to the Instant Pot and discard the remaining marinade. Brown the beef on all sides, approximately 3-4 minutes. Add the beef broth and scrape up the brown bits from the bottom of the container.
4. Turn Instant Pot off and add brown rice. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Add lid and securely lock. Flip the pressure value to the “Sealing” position and press the “Manual” button. Adjust setting to high and set cook time for 22 minutes. After a brief pause, the Instant Pot will automatically start building pressure.
5. When cook time is complete, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release for any remaining pressure.
6. Carefully remove lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired. Transfer to a platter and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and chopped parsley, if desired. Serve immediately with your favorite sides. Enjoy!
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 562 Total Fat: 27g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 19g Cholesterol: 168mg Sodium: 1099mg Carbohydrates: 23g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 9g Protein: 59g