With this Instant Pot Mongolian Beef recipe you can enjoy a takeout favorite from the comfort of home (and skip the MSG). Serve it over brown rice for extra fiber or eat it solo or over cauliflower rice if you want to cut out some of the carbs. Mongolian beef is one of my favorite Chinese restaurant dishes (second only to Green Pepper Steak) and thankfully Hubs is a fan too so I can make it often.
Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
Note: For a thicker sauce, remove beef and veggies after cooking and use the “Sauté” function to reduce the liquids by one half.
- 1½ lbs. flank steak, sliced thin against the grain
- 2 T. cornstarch (non-GMO, preferably)
- 2-3 T. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 large carrots, cut into 3” matchsticks
- 1 T. fresh ginger, minced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 T. Sriracha sauce (adjust to taste)
- 2 T. sesame oil
- ¾ c. tamari or coconut aminos
- ¾ c. warm water
- ¼ c. honey, preferably local
- ¼ c. maple syrup
- 3 c. long-grain brown rice, cooked
- 2 large green onions, cut on the diagonal
- 1 T. toasted sesame seeds
- Place beef and cornstarch in a one-gallon freezer bag. Seal and turn to combine until steak is lightly coated. Set aside.
- Add one tablespoon olive oil to Instant Pot® and select the Sauté function. Set to high and once the display reads “hot,” add beef, working in batches if necessary, and brown on both sides, approximately 3 minutes per side. Add additional olive oil, as necessary, to brown the remaining beef.
- Transfer beef to a plate and add one tablespoon olive oil to Instant Pot®. Add onion, carrots, ginger, and garlic, and cook, stirring continually, until onion and carrots are soft and turn golden brown, approximately 4-5 minutes. Remove from Instant Pot® and set aside.
- Return beef to the cooking container and add Sriracha sauce, sesame oil, tamari, water, honey and maple syrup. Stir to combine. Add lid and set pressure valve to “Sealing” position. Select “Manual” option and set to high. Adjust cook time to 6 minutes.
- When finished cooking, allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release for the remaining pressure.
- Remove lid and add sautéed veggies back to the container. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings, as desired.
- Brown Rice
- Cauliflower Rice
- Sticky Rice
Instant Pot Mongolian Beef Recipe
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 522 Total Fat: 28g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 20g Cholesterol: 90mg Sodium: 2251mg Carbohydrates: 32g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 23g Protein: 36g