Chicken and dumplings is a Southern comfort food that has stood the test of time. If you love a good homemade chicken soup, you’ll probably love these slow cooker chicken and dumplings too!
Homestyle chicken and dumplings have never been easier to make thanks to the use of a Crock-Pot. While making chicken and dumplings from scratch the old-fashioned way is always delicious, it’s not necessarily something you have time to make for dinner during a busy week.
Check out this recipe and you’ll be on your way to delicious slow cooker chicken and dumplings even when you’re short on time.
How to Make Easy Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings with Biscuits
Let’s start with an overview of the ingredients.
- I was fresh out of cream of chicken soup so I made my Crock-Pot chicken and dumplings with cream of mushroom soup instead and it turned out delicious. I’m leaving cream of mushroom soup in the recipe but, of course, feel free to use cream of chicken instead as is traditional.
- Frozen diced carrots are a time-saver and you can even use frozen diced onions to cut down on prep time even more.
- Use refrigerated biscuits in the can for dumplings, not frozen biscuits. We always affectionately called these “whop biscuits” because you whop them on the side of the counter after you take the wrapper off. I know the package says to press firmly with a spoon, but once you start whopping them it just makes sense (plus it’s fun!).
- Chicken broth can come from the can, carton, bouillon cube, or homemade from scratch. Personally, I like to use Better than Bullion to make broth for all of my cooking. As the name indicates, it tastes much better than the broth made from a bouillon cube, but you still get the compact storage, convenience, and price per ounce savings.
To make Crock-Pot chicken and dumplings you’ll add everything but the peas, carrots, and biscuits to the slow cooker.
Cook on high for 4 hours or when chicken is done. Poultry is considered safely cooked once it has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Once the chicken is cooked use a fork to shred it like so.
Stir in the frozen peas and carrots and add chopped biscuit dough pieces to the top.
You might want to spoon a bit of the cooking liquid over the top of the biscuits to keep them from drying out as they cook.
Cook another two hours on high and then you’re ready to enjoy your slow cooker chicken and dumplings!
- ½ onion, diced
- 24 ounces chicken breasts (2-3 breasts)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 10.5 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 28 ounces chicken broth
- 1 can refrigerated biscuits
- 1 (16 oz) bag of frozen peas and carrots
- Add onion, chicken breasts, salt, pepper, garlic powder, Italian seasonings, chicken broth, and cream of mushroom soup to the crockpot.
- Cook on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Using a fork, shred the chicken by moving your fork around in a circular motion.
- Add frozen peas and carrots and stir.
- Chop biscuits up and layer across the top.
- Cook on HIGH for another 2 hours.
- Serve warm and enjoy
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 433Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 155mgSodium 2087mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 58g
Nutrition information is an estimate and will vary.
Love chicken? You’ll love these recipes!