Once you’ve tried this creamy cucumber salad recipe, it will make a regular appearance at your dinner table. It’s simple to make, can be made ahead of time, and is a creative way to use your garden abundance during the summer.
Cucumber Salad Ingredients
- Cucumbers – You can use regular cucumbers or English cucumbers. I used regular garden cucumbers in this recipe becuase English cucumbers are often hard to find in rural areas.
- Sour cream – Feel free to use Greek yogurt instead if you need to cut down on fat.
- Mayonnaise – I only use Hellman’s or Duke’s!
- Fresh dill – Don’t skimp on the dill and don’t opt for dried if you can help it. The fresh dill in this creamy cucumber salad recipe really adds to the flavor pallate.
- Apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Cucumber Salad
Start by preparing the cucumbers. I like to partially peel them so there’s not so much cucumber skin in the salad but there’s still some nice green in the finished product for visual appeal.
Once you’ve peeling the cucumbers to your satisfaction, slice them in half vertically and use a spoon to scoop out most of the seeds. If you try to remove them completely you’ll end up scraping out too much cucumber flesh along with them.
Sliced the prepared cucumbers into ¼″ pieces. Dice the red onion and chop the fresh dill.
Place cucumbers, red onion, dill, mayonnaise, sour cream, plus salt and pepper to taste in a mixing bowl and thoroughly combine.
Add sugar to the apple cider vinegar and stir until dissolved.
Pour the cider vinegar mixture over the cucumber salad and mix well. Chill for one hour before serving to allow the dressing to thicken.
No. You’ll wind up with mushy cucumbers and clumpy dressing from the sour cream and mayonnaise.
Yes! Make it up to a day ahead of time. Any longer than that and the cucumbers will start getting soggy.
I like using cider vinegar but you can also use regular white vinegar or rice vinegar.
What Goes with Cucumber Salad?
It also tastes great spooned onto tortilla chips. That’s exactly how I enjoyed it for lunch as I was too impatient to let it chill and thicken. It’s that good!
However you choose to serve it, this creamy cucumber salad will quickly become a favorite. And if you just can’t get enough cucumber, check out my cucumber onion salad with quinoa too.
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- 3 large cucumbers peeled, deseeded, and chopped
- ¼ cup red onion diced
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoon mayonnaise
- ½ ounce fresh dill chopped
- 3 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon granulated sugar
- Partially peel cucumbers and cut them in half vertically.
- Scrape out the seeds and slice into ¼" pieces.
- Combine cider vinegar and sugar. Set aside.
- Mix cucumbers, chopped onion, sour cream, mayonnaise, and chopped dill together in a medium bowl. Top with salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
- Drizzle apple cider mixture over the cucumber salad and mix well.
- Refrigerate for one hour before serving to chill and thicken dressing.