These easy, bite-sized desserts combine two of everyone’s favorite flavors: bacon and chocolate!
Chocolate Maple Bacon Truffles
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tub Betty Crocker maple bacon frosting OR
1 tub vanilla frosting with 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
1 Tablespoon milk
3 Tablespoons solid shortening
1 cup Ghirardelli semi sweet chocolate chips
6 slices maple flavored bacon – cooked and crumbled
1. Line a cookie sheet with wax paper and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add the powdered sugar, milk, frosting (and maple syrup, if using). Stir until well blended.
3. Roll the truffle filling into 1 inch balls and place on cookie sheet. Cover and freeze for 20 minutes while preparing the chocolate coating. Chilling the truffle balls will make it easier to dip into the chocolate.
5. In a double boiler, melt the shortening over medium heat. (I’ve tried the microwave method with these chocolate chips but have found using a double boiler creates a shinier, smoother chocolate).
6. Add the chocolate chips and stir occasionally until melted.
7. Pour melted chocolate into a small mixing bowl. Dip a truffle ball into the chocolate with the help of an inserted toothpick. Allow any excess chocolate to run off.
8. Gently place the chocolate coated truffle back onto the cookie sheet and remove the toothpick.
9. Immediately sprinkle 1 teaspoon of crumbled bacon on top of the truffle before the chocolate hardens. Repeat with the remaining truffles.
10. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.