My Crock Pot is getting a workout lately. How about yours? For some time I’ve been wanting to make slow cooker meatballs, but most of the recipes require premade frozen meatballs. Most brands of frozen meatballs are full of TVP (textured vegetable protein) and gluten so I wanted to make my own from ground beef. The Crock Pot recipes I did find for ground beef meatballs, all included bread crumbs and some type of tomato-based sauce for serving with pasta. What to do? Experiment! I’m happy to share these Sweet and Slow Cooker Meatballs. They are gluten-free, dairy-free, and taste great served over rice.
Gluten-free Slow Cooker Meatballs
- 2lbs ground beef
- 3 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oats
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 14 oz can whole berry cranberry sauce
- In a large bowl, mix ground beef, Worcestershire sauce, and oats.
- Form meat mixture into 2″ balls and place in slow cooker
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar and cranberry sauce
- Pour sauce mixture over meatballs in slow cooker
- Cook on low for 6 hours or until meat is no longer pink
- Strain meatballs and serve over rice
Updated after comments: Make sure your oats are gluten-free. Hubs has a gluten sensitivity and has to avoid overt forms of gluten like bread, pizza crusts, cake, etc. The trace amounts of gluten found in oats and certain sauces don’t bother him, so I don’t have to read labels. Be sure to check yours if your gluten intolerance is more severe!
Forgive the photographic absence of the styled, finished dish. It’s snowing outside…and we’re hungry.