You know how your first day back home from vacation is? The avalanche of laundry and hollow refrigerator that greet you upon your arrival make you wonder if it was even worth it. You know it was, but the family is hungry and you’ll be darned if you eat at a drive through again after all that time on the road. A trip to Target wouldn’t be a bad idea since your pantry echos back when you ask it what’s for dinner (plus you could pick up a pack of underwear and put off laundry for another day. :))
Fortunately I had enough ingredients around to invent a quick meal that saved me a trip to the store. No need to even peel the potatoes in this easy mashed potato recipe! I literally handed Hubs a big bowl full as he came into the kitchen to announce he was taking the kids to get some fast food.
Easy Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 6-8 medium Russet Potatoes
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 cup Kraft Three Cheese Ranch Dressing
- 1/3 milk of choice (soy, almond, coconut, evaporated, 2%, etc)
- 10 oz can chicken, drained
- 1 pkg Real Bacon bacon pieces
- 1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Tony Chachere’s Cajun seasoning to taste
- Cut potatoes into cubes and boil until tender. Drain.
- Using a hand or electric mixer, whip potatoes until desired texture is reached
- Add butter and whip with the potatoes until butter is melted
- Blend in Kraft dressing, chicken, bacon pieces and seasoning
- Stir in cilantro by hand
- Serve immediately while still warm
The addition of chicken whether leftover or from a can turns these easy mashed potatoes into a meal on their own. Perfect for a meat and potatoes kind of guy (or gal.)
If you have the time and want to go the extra mile, spread your mashed potatoes in a dish, sprinkle with a little cheese and bake at 350 for just a few minutes until the top is brown.