Do you want to take your grits to a whole new level? Introduce them to bacon and cheddar cheese. The combination is unbelievable. This is good for breakfast, brunch, or when you just have a craving. All my children are crazy about Cheddar Bacon Grits.
I gave the measurement for bacon as 1/4 of a cup instead of number of slices or a package. I did this because I buy bacon in bulk then bake, chop, and freeze it. Preparing bacon ahead of time helps control the amount of fat (by removing most of the fat before chopping) and allows me to have bacon pieces available for easy use. You can either fry fresh bacon or use packaged bacon pieces, either will work fine in this recipe.
Cheddar Bacon Grits
- 3/4 cup Quaker Quick-5 Minute Grits
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup real bacon pieces (bits)
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Bring water and salt to a rolling boil.
- Add grits and cook 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat stir in butter, bacon, and cheese. Serve warm